Matrix Encapsulation: Preserving Liquids in Solids
Starting Materials Matrix Encapsulation
Sensitive oils, aqueous solutions or waxes as hot melts are transformed into aqueous emulsions and hot melt emulsions respectively and can thus be pumped and sprayed for further processing.
Process Technology Matrix Encapsulation
Fluidized-Bed Matrix-Encapsulation is the technology of choice when protection of sensitive liquids and long-term stability are required. By means of a Matrix-Encapsulation fluids can be transformed into free-flowing granulates.
The liquid active is embedded as ~ 1 µm droplets within solid matrix particles of adjustable size (20 µm to 5,000 µm).
Matrix Encapsulation provides protection against oxidation (e.g. omega-3-fish oils) and removes incompatibility with other formulation components (e.g. bleaching agents). It allows the “Controlled-Release” of specific liquid or solid compounds (e.g. silicone antifoams, flavours or fragrances) within a formulated particle system.
Results and Benefits Matrix Encapsulation
- Up to 50% liquid loaded, free-flowing granulates
- Careful treatment of sensitive components
- Protection of particles against other components, external influences, internal incompatibilities
- Specific „Controlled-Release“ and „Slow-Release“ mechanisms
- Improved storage stability of volatile components
- Suitability for direct compression